To synthesize the golden age of urban music I grew up on into a musical identity others can relate to has been one of the most important and long-lasting battles I have fought over the past fifteen years, and it’s nowhere near over. Since middle school I’ve known I have deep talent for writing that has manifested in many forms and styles of poetry and song. Is the reason I have yet to find my niche because I reflect my environment so well?
Notorious B.I.G., DMX and Nas first captured my fascination in the mid-90s. During the late 90s and early aughts, my catalog grew to include Nelly, Eminem, Ludacris and Outkast. As I headed east to New York in 2004, Kanye West appeared. I became an avid listener of Lil Wayne, rediscovered Jay-Z and supported Fabolous and 50 Cent. In hip-hop, southern influence has only grown since that time and here in 2012, I find myself in Atlanta. It is clear to me I am chasing my biggest dreams.
Personally, I see that southern music has begun to stagnate. Except for T.I., 2 Chainz and Young Jeezy, it’s all copycat style. Wiz Khalifa, Meek Mill and Mac Miller are the newest class or artists, and two of them hail from Pittsburgh of all places. I suppose if I’ve followed my musical influences to New York and to Atlanta, it only makes sense my taste is moving back towards to the Midwest, and my hometown of Milwaukee.
No comments:
Post a Comment